3/4 cup cooked black beans 1/2 cup canola oil or melted butter 2 eggs 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 1/2 cup sugar 1 teaspoon instant coffee 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour, or Gluten-Free Flour Mixture, page 44 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, divided 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Prepare a 9x9-inch square baking pan by coating lightly with cooking oil spray. Lining the bottom with parchment paper will also make the brownies much easier to remove.
2. In a food processor fitted with the S blade, purée the black beans, oil, eggs, cocoa powder, sugar, coffee, and vanilla.
3. Pulse in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Scrape down the sides, if necessary.
4. Melt 1/4 cup of the chocolate chips (using a double-boiler, or in the microwave in a glass bowl).
5. Add bean mixture to a medium bowl, and stir in melted chocolate. Stir in the remaining chocolate chips and chopped walnuts.
6. Scoop brownie mixture into prepared baking pan. Bake for 25–30 minutes.
7. Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes. To serve, cut into 16 squares. Per serving (1 brownie): 159 Calories 10g Fat (2g sat) 3g Protein 15g Carbohydrates 7.125g Sugar 2g Dietary Fiber 27mg Cholesterol 58mg Sodium
This and other Not Just For Diabetics recipes can be found in: