Makes 4 servings 1 (15-ounce) can black beans 1 tablespoon horseradish mustard 2 tablespoons tomato paste 1 tablespoon flour 1 teaspoon ground cumin 1 tablespoon olive oil 1/4 cup minced onion 1 garlic clove, minced 1/4 cup chopped shiitake mushrooms 1 piece whole-wheat bread, toasted 2 tablespoons almonds
1. Drain black beans of any liquid, and place in a medium bowl. Mash with a fork, and add mustard, tomato paste, flour, and cumin.
2. Meanwhile, add olive oil to a medium-hot skillet. Add onion, garlic, and mushrooms, and sauté about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add to black bean mixture, and stir until well mixed.
3. In a toaster or warm oven, toast whole-wheat bread until it dries out but isn’t burnt. Tear bread into pieces, and process with almonds in a food processor or coffee grinder until well ground. Dip each black bean patty into the bread/almond mixture on each side.
4. Cook patties on medium high in a skillet coated with cooking spray. Cook each side 3–4 minutes or until desired doneness.
5. Serve each patty on salad greens, a whole-wheat bun, or an English muffin.