CAKE: 1/2 cup canola oil 1/2 cup brown sugar 4 eggs 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour 2 teaspoons cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger 1/4 teaspoon allspice 1 tablespoon Stevia 2 teaspoons baking soda 1 cup finely shredded carrots 1 cup finely shredded zucchini, drained of excess moisture
WHIPPED CREAM FROSTING: 4 ounces Neufchâtel cream cheese, softened 1/4 cup powdered sugar 1 tablespoon vanilla extract 1 cup heavy whipping cream 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare 2 (8- or 9-inch) round cake pans by coating lighlty with cooking oil spray,
2. Cream together oil and brown sugar in a large bowl, using electric mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating between additions.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, Stevia, and baking soda. Stir dry mixture into wet ingredients. Fold in carrots and zucchini.
4. Pour batter evenly into the 2 pans. Bake 30–35 minutes. Cool on racks for at least 10 minutes before removing from pans.
5. Using electric mixer, prepare Whipped Cream Frosting by whipping together the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla. While whipping, slowly pour in the whipping cream. Scrape the bottom of the bowl a few times while you continue whipping and the mixture starts to stiffen.
6. Frost the top of one cake layer with 1/3–1/2 cup of frosting. Place the other layer on top, and frost top and side.
7. Sprinkle chopped walnuts on top, if desired. Cover, and keep refrigerated.
8. To serve, cut into 12 wedges. Per serving (1 slice): 323 Calories 21g Fat (7g sat) 6g Protein 29g Carbohydrates 13g Sugar 3g Dietary Fiber 105mg Cholesterol 287mg Sodium
This and other Not Just For Diabetics recipes can be found in: