1 teaspoon olive oil 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper 2 tablespoons diced onion 1/4 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives 1/2 ounce shredded Pepper Jack cheese 1 tablespoon minced cilantro 1 dash each: salt, pepper, and paprika 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Prepare 4 small individual ramekins by coating lightly with olive oil or cooking oil spray. Alternatively, prepare an oiled muffin tin.
2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté bell pepper and onion, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in black beans.
3. Place a heaping tablespoon of this mixture into the bottom of each ramekin.
4. Whisk chives, cheese, cilantro, salt, pepper, and paprika into eggs. Ladle or spoon egg mixture into ramekins (or prepared muffin tin cups), and bake in middle of oven until tops are puffed and set, about 14 minutes.
5. Remove pan from oven, and serve warm with optional sides of salsa and fresh avocado or fruit. Per serving (1 frittata): 123 Calories 8g Fat (2g sat) 9g Protein 4g Carbohydrates <1g Sugar 1g Dietary Fiber 265mg Cholesterol 183mg Sodium
This and other Not Just For Diabetics recipes can be found in: