1 tablespoon olive oil 1 stalk celery, trimmed and diced 3/4 cup diced sweet onion 1 cup seeded and chopped red bell pepper 1 cup seeded and chopped yellow bell pepper 2 garlic cloves, minced 1/4 jalapeño pepper, diced 1 teaspoon ground cumin 1 teaspoon oregano 2 tablespoons low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth 1 cup cooked black beans 1 cup canned pinto beans 1 cup cooked brown rice 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese Cilantro and sour cream for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Heat olive oil in a large oven-proof skillet (cast-iron works well) over medium-high heat. Add celery, onion, and bell peppers, and stir for 3–4 minutes.
3. Stir in garlic, jalapeño, cumin, and oregano. Add broth, and stir again for about 3 more minutes. Turn off stove.
4. Add beans and rice to vegetable mixture, and stir until well combined. Sprinkle Cheddar cheese over the top. Place skillet in oven.
5. Bake for 25 minutes. Serve warm.
6. Garnish with chopped cilantro and sour cream, if desired. Per serving: 193 Calories 6g Fat (2g sat) 9g Protein 27g Carbohydrates 1.5g Sugar 6g Dietary Fiber 10mg Cholesterol 247mg Sodium
This and other Not Just For Diabetics recipes can be found in: