11/2 pounds flank steak or tenderloin 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce 1/3 cup red wine vinegar 2 tablespoons honey 2 tablespoons grated gingerroot 1 garlic clove, minced 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1 small onion, sliced
POMEGRANATE SAUCE: 6 fluid ounces 100% pomegranate juice (no sugar added) 1/4 cup low-sodium beef broth 1 sprig thyme 1 small cinnamon stick 2 tablespoons red wine, such as Pinot Noir 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds (arils)
1. Place meat in a large shallow glass baking dish. Combine soy sauce, vinegar, honey, ginger, garlic, and cinnamon, and pour over meat. Place sliced onion on top of meat. Cover, and marinate for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours. Turn once while marinating. While steak is marinating, prepare Sauce.
2. Combine pomegranate juice, broth, thyme sprig, and cinnamon stick in a saucepan, and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20–30 minutes or until reduced by half. Remove thyme sprig and cinnamon stick. Stir in the red wine, and remove from heat. If a thick Sauce is desired, you can add a little bit (1/2 teaspoon) of cornstarch.
3. Bring steak to room temperature. Preheat grill to medium high, or preheat broiler. Grill 5–7 minutes on each side for medium-rare.
4. Allow steak to rest 5–8 minutes before slicing. Slice thinly on the diagonal across grain of the meat.
5. Serve steak drizzled with 2 tablespoons of Sauce and 1 teaspoon pomegranate seeds.