We make many versions of this scrumptious summertime salad. This is our favorite.
Makes 4 servings 2 red bell peppers 2 yellow bell peppers 1 small red onion 2 large portobello mushroom caps 1 zucchini 1 small eggplant 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided Salt and pepper to taste 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese 1/4 cup chopped pitted black olives 1/2 cup chopped marinated artichoke hearts 1 tablespoon red wine (or balsamic) vinegar
1. Thoroughly wash all the vegetables, removing seeds and stems from the peppers, and drying so that there isn’t a lot of water left on the surface.
2. Cut the peppers, onion, and mushroom into quarters, and slice the zucchini and eggplant lengthwise into about 4 or 5 slices. (They are easier to grill or roast this way.)
3. Lightly coat the vegetables with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven on a broiling pan, or grill them.
4. After grilling, allow the vegetables to cool. Then chop them and place in a large mixing bowl.
5. Add the feta cheese, olives, and artichoke hearts, and toss until well combined.
6. Drizzle remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and red wine vinegar over the salad, and toss it together.
NOTE: The feta and olives add quite a bit of saltiness, so taste it before deciding whether or not to add more salt. It usually doesn’t need it!