2 pounds boneless pork loin 2 large red bell peppers, seeded and cut into strips 1 medium yellow sweet onion, thinly sliced 1/2 cup low-sodium teriyaki sauce 1/4 cup water 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger 1 tablespoon minced garlic 1/4 cup almond butter 1/2 cup lite coconut milk 2 limes for garnish
1. Coat slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Put the pork, bell peppers, onion, teriyaki sauce, water, rice vinegar, red pepper flakes, ginger, and garlic in the cooker. Cover, and cook on LOW until the pork is fork-tender, 6–8 hours. (Periodically check the slow cooker to make sure the liquid has not completely been absorbed. If all signs of liquid are gone, add a little more water and a little more teriyaki, and loosen any browned bits on the bottom. You could also add low-sodium chicken broth.)
2. Remove the pork from the cooker, and coarsely chop or shred.
3. Add the almond butter to the liquid in the cooker, and stir with a whisk until well blended.
4. Whisk in coconut milk. Return the shredded pork to the sauce, and toss to coat the meat evenly.
5. Serve over hot brown rice. Garnish with lime wedges.
PICTURED: Alternatively, enjoy on a hoagie roll topped with a bit of broccoli slaw …delicious! Per serving: 257 Calories 13g Fat (4g sat) 23g Protein 14g Carbohydrates 3.5g Sugar 2g Dietary Fiber 47mg Cholesterol 967mg Sodium
This and other Not Just For Diabetics recipes can be found in: