2 medium red bell peppers 1 tablespoon olive oil 1 medium leek, washed and chopped 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper 1 cup finely chopped broccoli, stalk and florets 1/4 cup pine nuts 1 cup cooked brown rice 1 ounce Gouda cheese 1 ounce smoked chinook salmon, diced or chopped Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Prepare a large baking sheet by lining with parchment or aluminum foil.
2. Slice red bell peppers in half horizontally, and remove seeds and ribs. Place on prepared baking sheet.
3. Heat olive oil in a large skillet, and add leek and diced red bell pepper. Sauté on medium high for about 4 minutes, stirring regularly.
4. Add broccoli and pine nuts, and continue to stir another 2 minutes. Stir in brown rice.
4. At this stage you can either stir the Gouda and the salmon into the skillet (one less thing to clean), or you can scoop the other ingredients into a large bowl and stir in the Gouda and salmon.
6. Place about 1/3 cup of the mixture into each red bell pepper half.
7. Bake peppers for about 35 minutes. Serve warm. Per serving: 204 Calories 11g Fat (3g sat) 8g Protein 21g Carbohydrates 3g Sugar 4g Dietary Fiber 10mg Cholesterol 125mg Sodium
This and other Not Just For Diabetics recipes can be found in: