2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided (you can also use 1 cup water and 1 cup broth) 1/2 cup unsweetened dried tart cherries 1 tablespoon olive oil 1 cup chopped onion 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced 1 pound ground turkey 1/2 medium jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped 1 teaspoon garlic powder 2 teaspoons chili powder 11/2 teaspoons ground cumin 1 teaspoon ground coriander 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano 2 (16-ounce) cans fire roasted diced tomatoes 2 cups cooked black beans 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. In a small saucepan, heat 1 cup of the broth. Add cherries, turn off heat, and set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and red bell pepper; sauté until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
3. Add turkey; cook until no longer pink.
4. Stir in jalapeño; cook 1 minute.
5. Stir in spices, and cook another few minutes.
6. Add tomatoes, beans, and remaining broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes.
7. Stir in cilantro. Continue cooking until thoroughly heated.